Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Contentment?

So what does it mean to really be content? The dictionary describes it as "feeling or showing satisfaction with one's possessions, status, or situation". But what does the bible say about such things?
Philip 4:11-13
11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.


This letter that Paul writes speaks volumes on the differences of the "world" and of the "faith". I for starters am not content when I am hungry. I am not content when the walls of my life come crashing down around me. I think we can all say that our hearts still cling to the "worlds" view of contentment. So how can we as Christan's become like Paul?

One word says it all Faith. Faith in he who gives and takes away. That's a big statement. Faith in God, Faith in Jesus is not an easy. But i don't see anything in the bible that has ever been easy.

So where does that put "us" as christian believers... We feel blessed and content when we are not being challenged, persecuted or hungry. But isn't that what Paul is challenging us with? To be content even in the worst possible situation imaginable. You can always tell when a christian is moving in there next step into faith when God lets go of there hand and lets them walk on there own for the first time. We all stumble and fall down, but it is what we do when we fall that makes or breaks our faith.

Some people run back to there old ways and start over again. Some sit there on there back yelling for God. But what good has there ever done anyone? And a few will dig deep, get up and fall again and again and again.

This is what Paul was trying to help us understand, this is his secret. Contentment is puting all your love, heart and soul into "I can do everything through him who gives me strength". So next time youre down remember; dont be content in your surroundings but be content in the promise!

No comments: